I received free samples of California Walnuts mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by California Walnuts and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.Jump to Recipe
Raise your hand if you’re a snacker, like me!
Snacking is an important part of staying well nourished throughout the day, maintaining energy levels, and helping your body’s digestive system run optimally. Not only does staying adequately fueled throughout the day help us to keep alert and energized, it can also help with memory and our overall mood.
When I think about the key components of a balanced snack, it has two main parts – carbohydrates and protein. Pairing these two macronutrients together helps give you a boost of energy that can be sustained until your next meal. The winning combo also satisfies you and can help put cravings at ease.
With summer in full force and back to school season quickly approaching, having easy and delicious snack ideas at the ready is important. Today’s snack recipe is perfect for those hot summer days, or can be a nice afterschool snack. It’s a dessert-like, protein-packed, bite-sized snack with lots of different flavors and textures at play. There’s the crunchy crust made from California walnuts and whole grain oats, topped with a cool, creamy protein-filled Greek yogurt, and finished with crisp apples and more walnuts!
My favorite thing about walnuts is that a handful of them is a versatile snack or ingredient that can help you feel full and satisfied thanks to a combination of key nutrients including plant-based protein (4g/oz) and fiber (2g/oz). Research suggests walnut consumption may be associated with improved cognitive function. This growing field of research is looking at areas like healthy aging as well as mood, concentration and more.
Let’s get to the recipe so you can get to snacking! More information on snacking with walnuts can be found at https://walnuts.org/snacking/
Walnut Apple Crisp Frozen Yogurt Bites
- 1 cup nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil divided
- 1 cup finely chopped California walnuts
- ¼ cup quick oats
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1-2 apples diced
- Muffin cup liners
- On a small baking pan, place your muffin cup liners. Set aside.
- Finely chop your California walnuts and combine them with the oats, cinnamon, and 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil. Place 1 tablespoon of the mixture at the bottom of your muffin cup liners. Press down to form a crust. There will be remaining oat mixture, save this for topping.
- In a small bowl, combine yogurt with remaining 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil. Pour heaping tablespoonfuls of yogurt into each muffin cup liner, on top of the crust. On top of the yogurt layer, place an additional tablespoonful of the walnut mixture. Press down gently so the crumb topping freezes in place.
- Place the filled muffin cups into the freezer. Freeze for at least 4 hours, or until completely frozen.
- Before serving, take your muffin cups out of the freezer for 5-10 minutes. Dice your apples. Evenly distribute apples on top of each muffin cup. Enjoy!