Now, some of you may already know what hygge is (because I’m often behind the times), but for those of you who don’t I’ll describe the tradition & offer some suggestions on how to start including it right now!
Hygge (pronounced hoo-gah) is a Danish practice of embracing positivity & enjoying the little things in life. It’s truly a simple concept & not a lifestyle move, but a way of living. There is no direct translation of hygge, but the closest thing we have to it is coziness. Basically, hygge is focusing on joy, togetherness, socializing, & feeling warmth through different activities.
- Make your home as comfy as possible
- Find a new, cozy coffee shop to enjoy with a friend
- Curl up by a fire with fuzzy socks & a good book
- Do fun holiday activity with friends/family
- Show people you love them
- Host a low-key dinner party with friends & family
- Dig through old family photos for a good laugh
- Try a new comfort food recipe
- Light candles & enjoy a romantic evening with your significant other without electronics/TV
- Take a walk & enjoy the nature around you
- Savor the holiday decorations & festive lights around town