We often associate slow cooker meals with the winter months because they tend to be hearty, warm meals. When I was brainstorming ideas for this challenge, it was just that – a challenge! But I was determined to combine summery flavors with the convenience of the slow cooker, yet keep the meal on the lighter side. I don’t know about you, but in the summer time I want lighter foods like salads & all those yummy side dishes at family picnics, as opposed to a heavy stew.
By cooking the chicken in the coconut milk, it makes the chicken even more tender & really enhances the flavor of the chicken. The sweet-sour flavor from the pineapple juice & lime adds to the creaminess of the chicken & really creates a tropical taste, too! This meal really couldn’t be packed with more summer flavor or simpler to make. I stuck it in the crockpot at lunchtime & didn’t have to do a thing until just before we were ready to eat! That’s my kind of summer meal 🙂
Coconut Lime Chicken Bowls
- 1.5 lbs chicken breasts
- 1 (13.5 oz) can light coconut milk
- ½ cup pineapple juice
- 1 lime, juiced +1 extra lime for serving
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 cups instant brown rice
- Place chicken in crockpot.
- Pour coconut milk, pineapple & lime juice, & spices on top. Cook on low for 6-8 hours until thoroughly cooked.
- Add rice to the crockpot in the last 30 minutes.
- Shred chicken & mix with rice.
- Place in bowls, top with cilantro & a squeeze of lime juice.
Makes 6-8 servings