Sometimes the holiday table can get a little bland, color wise, so this month’s Recipe Redux challenge was to bring a punch of color to the festivities. There are so many brightly colored, nutritious foods that are available this time of year, so there were a lot of options in deciding what to make. The key to this challenge was making holiday fare that is naturally colored or dyed. Fresh cranberries are the first thing that comes to my mind when I think of bright, natural colors during the holidays. I gravitate towards the sweet treats during the holiday season, so I started thinking about desserts or snacks that I could make.
Be sure to click on the link at the end of the page to check out all the other creative ways to add natural colors to your holiday table!
- ½ cup water
- 1 Tbsp honey
- ½ bag fresh cranberries
- 2 cups whole milk vanilla yogurt
- Shelled, roasted pistachios
- Place water and honey in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Add cranberries. Bring back to a low boil for about 10 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- Once thickened, let cool.
- While cranberry sauce is cooling, spread yogurt in a thin layer on a wax paper lined baking sheet.
- Add dollops of cranberry sauce to yogurt layer. Swirl with a knife. Top with pistachios.
- Place baking sheet in freezer for 3-4 hours until frozen solid. Break into pieces and serve.
- Keep extra bark in the freezer for easy snacking.