Many of you know I love to bake, it’s truly my greatest stress reliever. I hate to say it, but all that baking (I’m easily stressed!) isn’t always the best for our health. I’m all about treating yourself, letting yourself have what you’re craving, & making room for all foods in your diet, but sometimes we should try to lighten up our favorite recipes to make them just a tad bit better for us & still keep all the yummy flavor!
Chai Spice Muffins
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons chai spice mix*
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ½ cup milk (or milk alternative)
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 4 cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon chai spice mix*
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line muffin tin with liners.
- Combine dry ingredients (flour through oats) in large bowl. Combine wet ingredients in another mixing bowl.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour wet ingredients into it, folding with spatula until just combined (don’t overmix!).
- Pour batter into muffin tin and top with crumb topping.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
*Chai spice mix recipe: 1 tablespoon cinnamon + 2 ½ teaspoons cardamom + 1 ½ teaspoons ginger + 1 teaspoon allspice + 1 teaspoon cloves + ½ teaspoon nutmeg
Makes 12 muffins