While a traditional muscadine baked good is made with just muscadines, I decided to use half muscadines & half concord grapes. This is partly because my grocery store only had bronze muscadines & I wanted to incorporate some of that vibrant purple color that would come from either red or black muscadines. I also used Kodiak Cakes as part of the crumbly topping. You could sub in whole wheat flour or Bisquick if that’s what you have on hand. Another plus to making anything with muscadines is that your house ends up smelling like Welch’s grape juice, which is awesome!
Be sure to click on the link at the bottom of the page to check out all the other recipes using SPLENDA® Naturals Sugar & Stevia Blend!
- 3 cups bronze muscadine grapes
- 3 cups concord grapes
- 1 ¼ cups water, divided
- 1/2 cup SPLENDA® Naturals Sugar & Stevia Blend, divided
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 3/4 cup Kodiak Cakes flapjack mix*
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 4 Tbsp (1/2 stick) butter, melted
- Rinse grapes under cold water. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Separate pulp from skins by squeezing over small saucepan. Place pulp in small saucepan & skins into medium saucepan.
- Add ½ cup water to each saucepan & bring to a boil.
- Add 1/4 cup SPLENDA® Naturals Sugar & Stevia Blend to skins only.
- Reduce heat on both saucepans & simmer for 5-6 minutes, until pulp begins to break down.
- Remove the pulp from heat & strain through sieve into saucepan with skins in it, discarding solids & seeds.
- Add baking soda to filling mixture, stir, & simmer. (The mixture will foam up & turn green for a couple seconds, this is normal)
- Combine ¼ cup water with cornstarch, stir until smooth. Add to filling mixture. Bring back to a boil. Remove from heat.
- In a mixing bowl combine Kodiak Cakes mix, oats, 1/4 cup SPLENDA® Naturals Sugar & Stevia Blend. Add melted butter & stir until crumbly.
- Pour filling into greased 8 x 8-inch pan. Top with crumbly mixture.
- Bake for 40 minutes, until top is golden brown.
- Let cool completely before serving.**
*May substitute with whole wheat flour or Bisquick mix
**Make sure to let cool completely or the crisp will be too soft & runny
Store in fridge up to 5 days.