My first thought when I hear the word gut health is probiotics. I think fermented foods, yogurt, kombucha. Cultivating gut health has been super popular this year and there are so many new probiotic foods on the market today. The often overlooked first part to gut health is prebiotics.
On the other hand, some sources of probiotics are yogurt, kefir, tofu, tempeh, kimchi, sauerkraut, pickles, kombucha. So when we have this good balance of prebiotic foods to feed our gut bacteria and probiotic foods to be that good bacteria, we have a happy, healthy gut!
Anyways….check out the recipe below and get boosting that immune health! P.S. don’t forget to check out my fellow Recipe Redux-er’s gut health boosting recipes, too!
Wild Blueberry Almond Butter Breakfast Cookies
- 1 flax “egg” (1 Tbsp ground flaxseed + 2 ½ Tbsp water)
- 2 ¼ cups rolled oats
- ¾ cup oat flour (or whole wheat flour)
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 2 heaping Tbsp almond butter
- 1 Tbsp honey
- ½ cup milk
- 1 splash vanilla
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup frozen wild blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl combine flax and water. Set aside.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Combine banana, almond butter, honey, milk, and vanilla in a small bowl.
- Add flax egg and wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Mix until combined.
- Add frozen blueberries. Gently mix until evenly distributed.
- Place dough on greased cookie sheet in tablespoon sized scoops, flatten slightly.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown. Let cool. Drizzle with extra almond butter.
Makes about 20 cookies.
Keep in an airtight container for up to 5 days.